The terms ‘criminal law’ and ‘criminal procedural law’ cover a lot of meanings.
After all, criminal law is not only a discipline as such, covering punishments for generally known crimes such as theft, sexual offences, wounding and grievous bodily harm, drug-related crime, murder and manslaughter, etc.
Criminal law and criminal procedural law are also to be found in many other areas of law, such as in social law, economic law, fiscal and financial law, spatial planning, environmental law, etc.
This is a logical result, given that in recent years, the legislature has often decided to punish undesirable behaviour (undeclared work, tax evasion, construction crime, etc.) with punishments that can only be imposed by a criminal court.
An experienced criminal lawyer masters several different areas and often deals with very substantial cases in a team and multidisciplinary framework in consultation with specialised lawyers from other disciplines in his office.
As a team, we will be pleased to advise and support you in criminal cases where the alleged facts relate to:
- Criminal organisations
- Environmental offences
- Drugs offences
- Stalking and harassment
- Sexual offences (rape, molestation, child pornography, etc.)
- IT and computer crime
- Weapons offences
- Criminal acts in connection with information technology
- Insider trading and market manipulation
- Specific offences against company law and regarding market practices
- Money laundering practices
- Private corruption
- Criminal acts in connection with insolvency
- Misuse of company assets
- Fiscal criminal law and tax fraud
- Criminal offences regarding social security and employment and environmental legislation
- Breaches of professional secrecy
- Human trafficking
- Abuse of trust and swindling
- Murder and manslaughter
- Wounding and grievous bodily harm
- Vandalism and destruction
Desdalex has a well-developed department with specialised criminal lawyers.
They are able to take on the various aspects of criminal law within their fields of expertise: both the representation and the defence of suspects, as well as protecting the rights of victims.
- Our criminal lawyers defend suspects from their first contact with the police until the final settlement of the case, including the enforcement of penalties.
- Victims are offered immediate assistance in the area of administration and in court.
Not only do our specialised criminal lawyers plead and deal with cases on a daily basis before the police courts, the criminal courts and appeal courts both in Belgium (in Dutch and French) and abroad, but they can also fall back on more than 40 years of experience before the Assize Court.
All our criminal lawyers also followed the Special Training in Cassation Proceedings in 2015, as a result of which they can also conduct criminal proceedings before the Court of Cassation.
Also proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg form part of the daily practice of our criminal law team, which in addition has built up very extensive experience in international legal assistance in criminal cases, as well as deportation and rendition proceedings of suspects or guilty persons between various countries, including Belgium.
If there is a cross-border criminal law issue, Desdalex can call on highly regarded foreign colleagues in this area.
General criminal law
Criminal law is a wide concept with numerous ramifications. You can call on our services for the most varied cases, for which we will be pleased to assist you with suitable advice and professional support.
Please contact us if:
- You are asked to attend questioning by the police
- You are arrested
- You are suspected of a crime
- You have been imprisoned without good reason
- The prosecution against you has expired
- You are the victim of a crime
- You wish to obtain compensation
- You are having difficulties claiming compensation
- You are asked to reach an amicable settlement
- You are asked to mediate in criminal cases
Financial, economic and fiscal criminal law
Financial, economic and fiscal cases require background knowledge for an adequate settlement. What is more, this subject is linked to highly specific legislation, which means that it is best to always request advice and assistance from a criminal lawyer with specialised knowledge. Our lawyers possess wide knowledge of and experience in pleading even the most complex cases.
Feel free to contact us if:
- You are suspected of an abuse of a company structure
- You wish to make use of the so-called ‘Buy-out Law’ and avoid criminal prosecution.
- You are the victim of illegal practices by fellow directors or managers
- You are suspected of tax or VAT fraud
- You are unsure of the financial consequences of being found guilty of money laundering
- You are not sure which of your assets can be confiscated
- You want to know about the possibilities of reaching a settlement with the public prosecutor
Hospital visits, operations and other medical interventions do not always turn out for the best. So that you can make sure that you are fully informed, our criminal lawyers will be pleased to assist you with their experience and expertise in medical law. We can help you if:
- Something has gone wrong with a medical intervention and a claim is made against you
- You are not sure how to defend yourself before a disciplinary board
- You are the victim of a medical error
- You are not sure if you have the right to see your medical records
- You are not sure how much compensation you can receive
- You wish to appoint an independent medical expert
- You have been injured and wish to apply to a commission that provides financial assistance to victims of deliberate acts of violence and to persons who assist them
Environmental criminal law and Spatial Planning
The area of environmental criminal law and spatial planning (town and country planning) encompasses very specific infringements regarding agriculture and fishing, noise nuisance, asbestos and other waste, soil contamination, nature protection, transportation of hazardous substances and construction violations.
Our lawyers will be pleased to advise and defend you with these varied subjects.
Please contact us if:
- You are unsure whether you have to demolish your house if it was built without a permit
- You are not sure what a restitution claim exactly entails
- You are suspected of infringing environmental criminal law and you wish to defend yourself
- You need assistance during questioning by government inspection services
Social criminal law
Our experienced criminal lawyers will guide you through the administrative process with a clear focus and with the necessary advice. They will also assist you during any proceedings before the criminal court. Please contact us if:
- You have been visited by the social security inspectorate or any other public service
- You have been involved in an accident at work involving injury or death
- If the authorities have found that you have contravened specific regulations regarding safety, health and hygiene
- You are unsure whether it is possible to settle your case with an administrative penalty
- You are summoned to appear before the criminal court and you are not sure what punishment you may face
Sports law is a very specific branch of the law that applies to cases in the area of sports. Our criminal lawyers will be pleased to assist you with both various administrative courts of sports associations and official agencies and also before the criminal court.
You can call on our advice and support if:
- A complaint is made about your behaviour during a sports contest
- You are not sure what penalties you can expect for this
- You are accused of taking prohibited substances as a sportsperson
- You want a second opinion on the matter
- You wish to know which agencies you can approach to defend yourself
Accidents will happen. This means that both large and small traffic accidents are frequent occurrences. Fortunately, our criminal lawyers have the necessary expertise to assist you and to protect your interests in the area of traffic law. They do what is needed as regards civil and insurance-related questions as well as criminal matters.
Do not hesitate to seek our help if:
- You have committed a traffic violation
- You are the victim of an accident
- You are unsure how you can ask your insurance company to intervene in proceedings
- You receive a summons to appear before the police court